The Younghusband site is a collection of buildings centred on a Kensington wool store built in 1906. Over the next five years, Impact Investment Group will rejuvenate the historic Younghusband precinct into a beautiful industrial village.
This multi-layered, diverse precinct will ultimately be spread across four warehouse levels and the two neighbouring properties. Younghusband will become a fully functioning village with an activated laneway, communal greenspace and high quality workspaces. Read more about Younghusband's history.
Tucked between North Melbourne and Flemington, Kensington is only four kilometres from the Melbourne CBD. The local area has humming and lively café culture that people try to replicate across the city. Leafy green streets and heritage charm make Kensington a unique place to work and play.
10 Elizabeth Street,
Kensington, Victoria, 3031
IMPACT INVESTMENT GROUP
Impact Investment Group is a leading Australian funds manager. We aim to shift capital towards investments that blend financial returns with deep social and environmental impact, and to lead by example in using all of our resources to create the world we want to live in. You can read more here.
OUR WORK WITH YOUNGHUSBAND
We bought the Younghusband buildings in December 2016, after the previous owners abandoned their plans to develop apartments on the site. Working with the renowned architectural firm Woods Bagot and the existing community, we are rejuvenating this remarkable precinct as a beautiful industrial village.
OUR PROJECT ALLIANCE
Architecture: Woods Bagot
- Project Manager: HGW Projects
- Town Planning: Metropol Planning
- Strategic Planning & Community Engagement: Hodyl & Co
- Environmentally Sustainable Development: Wave Consulting
- Landscape Architect: Oculus
- Heritage: Michael Taylor
- Community Engagement: Renton and Co
- Traffic: Movendo
- Building Surveyor: BSGM Building Surveyors
- Building Services: Lucid Consulting
- Fire Engineer: Arup
- Quantity Surveyor: Rider Levett Bucknall
- Structural Engineer: Webber Design
- Waste: Sustainable Development Consultants
- Acoustic Engineers: Wood & Grieve
- Sustainability: Cundall
- Construction: Built
Construction of the first building in the complex (Wool Store No. 1) is thought to have began in 1900-1, soon after woolsellers R Goldsbrough Row and Co purchased the land. In 1902, Younghusband & Co, a woolbroking and stock agent founded by Isaac Younghusband in 1889 took over the company and the site, becoming Younghusband Row and Co.
Within a few years, the impressive four-storey red-brick building featuring a sawtooth roof had been extended southward, with the additional essentially using the same construction and design. Architects Oakden and Ballantyne are thought to have been responsible for the original building design, as they did work on the building during 1906. Other notable additions include those in Elizabeth Street from around 1928 which appear to be the design of renowned architect Arthur William Purnell.
Younghusband Ltd is a company of national significance to the wool industry and the complex has been identified as a rare example of surviving wool stores in Victoria.
The complex was operated by Younghusband until at least the 1970s. In recent years, the former wool store been adapted for a diverse range of uses including as an arts hub, home large and small creative businesses, and as a costume store for the Australian Ballet.
References: Graeme Butler & Associates 1985 ‘Flemington and Kensington Conservation Study’ (1985)